Saturday, March 25, 2017

Front suspension, brakes: The work begins (and continues)


Right front spring and shock removed
 Ouch! As you see, the spring cup has been removed in this pic and I was going to overhaul the LCAs - but - the right side lower control arm turned out to be bent and will go in the trash. I will buy a new pair.
Right front shock tower cleaned and painted with POR-15
Upper control arms stripped and looking awesome after two coats of POR-15

An example of DMCMW's great plating workmanship (ok, they sub it out, but still)
Brake calipers, rotor dust shields and misc hardware are back from plating at DMC Midwest and looking really awesome. I have also purchased new front brake pistons along with overhaul kits for both. Spindles and steering knuckles have been degreased and painted. Basically, I am/was ready for re-assembly when I noticed that both upper ball joints (one of very few parts I was planning to re-use) are in poor shape. Just like the lower ball joints, I will order the UBJs from DMC Europe; their ball joints are slightly beefier than the stock ones that the DMC network carry.
Ouch (again)! Considerable wear along the upper ball joint's swage

No comments:

Post a Comment