Thursday, May 1, 2014

It's pretty and all but...

Welcome to my blog!
I have owned my Delorean #1283 since 2005, a 1981 auto, and after ten years of ownership it seems I’ve touched every nut, bolt and washer of this car in order to make it better. All the hard work surely has paid off based on the curiosity and “oohs and “aaahs” that every car show has brought.
#1283 at the Collin County Community College "Back To The Future" 30 year celebration

The car looks good, handles and works well but over the years the get-up-and-go part of it has become a sore point. I don’t know how many times I’ve been beat by SUVs and minivans at the red lights – and the other driver didn’t even realize we were racing! Enough is enough. A car with high performance looks needs a high performance power plant so the research began well over a year ago: Where and how can I get more power? I started a short list of requirements:

Engine swap:
  • A modern engine utilizing today’s technology. Even though the stock V6 PRV motor's claim to fame includes the engine that powered the fastest Le Mans car ever - still, it's gotta go.
  • HP and torque in the 300+ range.
  • Reasonable cost
  • A company that is located in the US and has prior experience.
Convert to manual transmission:
  • Converting to manual transmission will be required for two reasons:
    • The current auto transmission cannot handle the additional torque (I will also need to add the upgraded input shaft) and
    • With that much power and sportiness, the manual transmission just makes more sense
Other things I plan to do myself:
  • Upgrade to ventilated, multi-piston brakes
  • Overhaul the suspension, new bushings etc. The car already has the lowered Eibach setup
My goal is to create a car that has the performance, handling and endurance. So, I hope you join me in the transformation of my all-looks Delorean to an all-business barn stormer!

No comments:

Post a Comment